No illegal fishing in 1st month of closed season
NO ILLEGAL fishing was recorded in the first month of the implementation of this year’s
closed season for the Conservation of Small Pelagic Fishes in Davao Gulf, according to the
Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR)-Davao Region.
BFAR officer-in-charge of Training Division Erlinda Ali, in an interview during the 70th
anniversary of BFAR-Davao Region Monday, July 3, said fishermen around Davao Gulf were
responsive to BFAR-Davao Region's call in protecting and conserving small pelagic species
from being extracted.
The closed season for Fishing, Ali said, is now on its fourth year in advocating the reduction
of pressure to the marine resources due to over fishing activities in Davao Gulf by prohibiting
big fishing operations from June 1 to August 31.
The zero illegal fishing record, she added, is due to the active performance of the enforcement
teams, who monitor fishing zones in Davao Gulf; specifically in Lupon, Governor Generoso,
Don Marcelino, Malita, Sta. Cruz, and Davao City.
"Most of them are afraid to take risk in fishing as the visibility of our patrol boats and
enforcement teams are consistent," Ali said.
She added that BFAR-Davao Region's Information, Education, Communication Program in
the provinces around Davao Gulf, with regards to the regulation and implementation of the
program, also contributed to the zero record of illegal fishing during the closed season.
Ali encouraged everyone, especially those who are living near coastal areas, to stop throwing
garbage on the sea water as it affects the breeding ground of the fishes.
"Aside from the strict compliance we asked from the fishermen, residents should also be
disciplined because one trash a day thrown into the water can cause triple problems in our
marine ecosystem," she said.
The BFAR-Davao Region, Ali said, is hoping that the zero illegal fishing in Davao Gulf will
continue throughout the whole duration of the closed season for fishing.
The 70th Anniversary of BFAR-Davao Region on Monday also gave emphasis on the success
of the Fishing Boat Pagbabago Program or the distribution of motorized fiberglass boats to
Ali said Davao City now has 100 units of fiberglass boats added to the 300 boats given last
August 17, 2016, at the Davao Fish Port Complex in Toril headed by the Department of
Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol, benefitting a total of 600 fishermen belonging to the poor
and those who are affected by the implementation of the closed season in Davao Gulf.
"We are having an ongoing training for chosen fishermen in Davao Occidental, Davao
Oriental, and Davao del Sur about building their own motorized fiberglass boats in addition
to the boats we already have distributed there," she said.
She added that there are at least 100 motorized fiberglass boats already distributed in
those three provinces since last year.(BSC)
Follow us: @sunstaronline on Twitter | SunStar Philippines on Faceboo
© 2017 Sun Star Davao