THE RICE-SHRIMP (ULANG) CULTURE PROGRAM
The project will be conducted in different regions of the country.
Initially a pilot demo farm in the region with ROS facilities for freshwater hatcheries feasible for ulang breeding will be established to serve as show window to rice farmers who will be interested and willing to be a technology adoptor/recepient of the project.
Very recently, the first launching of this techno demo farm in Baler, Aurora Province was initiated by ceremonial stocking of some 5000 fry of Macrobrachium rosenbergii in rice paddies initially involving 11 farmers in Aurora who were provided with free prawn fry.
BFAR expect to cover all rice producing areas of the country such as Regions 1, 3, 4, 10 and 11.
a. Site Selection and Beneficiaries
- Rice-paddy areas with sufficient water irrigation supply, ideally a parcel of 1000 sq m to one (1) ha rice farm.
- Farmers association or cooperative willing to be a technology adaptor of the project.
b. Provision for Seed Stocks and Technical Assistance
- Macrobrachium breeders to be provided by BFAR National Aquaculture Centres to ROS/Freshwater Stations with sufficient hatchery facilities
- Fry to be distributed to farmer cooperators in the Region by designated hatchery centers at a government subsidized price
- Trainings to be conducted by the Aquaculture Centers to ROS on farming design, hatchery/grow-out management
- Extension services to be rendered by the BFAR Regional staff to the Farmers